The UC Davis ModLab is an experimental research laboratory for digital humanities, media operations, and postdisciplinary innovations. The lab is developing new tools and methods to address the challenges faced by scholars working at the intersection of the sciences, the social sciences, and the humanities. Focusing on new media technologies and processes of modification, the lab offers a dynamic and collaborative environment for postdisciplinary modes of research.
The principal research programs of the lab include:
• Cultural studies of video games, optical technologies, and interactive media
• Games and gamification as modes of humanities scholarship
• Gaming platforms and VR technologies for experimental research
• Off-the-shelf strategies for digital humanities scholarship
• Relations of ludic culture with surveillance, securitization, and militarization
• Technocultural practices such as modding, hacking, and hactivism