The UC Davis ModLab is an experimental laboratory for media research and digital humanities. The lab is developing new tools and methods to address the challenges faced by scholars working at the intersection of the humanities, the sciences, the social sciences, and the arts. Focusing on new media technologies and processes of modification, the lab offers a dynamic and collaborative environment for post-disciplinary modes of research.
ModLab research programs include:
- Cultural studies of video games, code, and media technologies
- Games and gamification as modes of humanities scholarship
- Off-the-shelf strategies for digital humanities scholarship
- Relations of ludic culture with surveillance and militarization
- Technocultural practices such as modding, hacking, and hactivism